Queanbeyan Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Queanbeyan
Queanbeyan is a scenic city located in southeastern New South Wales, Australia. It is known for its rich culture, vibrant community, and famous people who have called it home. Here are some distinguished and famous people from Queanbeyan:
1. Mark Webber: The former Formula One and World Endurance Championship driver was born in Queanbeyan in 1976. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest Australian drivers of all time and was inducted into the Australian Motor Sport Hall of Fame in 2014.
2. Michael Bevan: One of the greatest cricketers to come out of Australia, Bevan was born and raised in Queanbeyan. He played for Australia between 1994 and 2004 and was known for his exceptional batting skills. He was also inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame in 2014.
3. Tom Risser: A prominent Australian sculptor, Risser was born in Queanbeyan in 1933. He was known for his abstract sculptures and works in bronze and stainless steel, and his work has been exhibited all over the world.
4. Sonia Kruger: A well-known television presenter and media personality, Kruger was born in Toowoomba but grew up in Queanbeyan. She has hosted a variety of popular television shows, including Dancing with the Stars and Big Brother, and has won several industry awards.
5. John Lang: A former rugby league player and coach, Lang was born in Queanbeyan in 1951. He played for the Queanbeyan Blues before becoming a coach, and led several NRL teams, including the Penrith Panthers and the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
6. John Howard: The former Prime Minister of Australia, Howard was born in Sydney but spent much of his childhood in nearby Lyneham. He was a regular visitor to Queanbeyan and was known for his support of local sporting teams.
7. Austin Lane: A former rugby league player, Lane was born in Queanbeyan in 1906. He played for the Queanbeyan Blues and went on to represent Australia in several test matches.
8. John Gale: Born in Queanbeyan in 1933, Gale was a prominent Australian artist and sculptor. He was known for his works in wood and bronze, and his pieces are held in collections all over Australia.
9. Laura Enever: A professional surfer, Enever was born in Sydney but spent much of her childhood in nearby Narrabundah. She began surfing competitively at a young age and has won several championships on the international circuit.
10. Frank O'Keefe: A former Australian rules footballer, O'Keefe was born in Queanbeyan in 1936. He played for numerous teams throughout his career, including St Kilda and North Melbourne, and was known for his exceptional skills on the field.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people who have come from Queanbeyan over the years. Their achievements and contributions to various fields have helped put Queanbeyan on the map and helped establish it as a city with a rich cultural heritage.